I really enjoy the fresh and natural taste of corn and have been known to eat it raw right off the cob. When I do cook corn on the cob, I never boil it, rather I blanch it quickly. Corn is wonderfully sweet on its own. While thinking of sweet corn one day, my mind turned to apples and recipe inspiration struck when I realized how nice it would be to combine the two. Sweet Corn and Apple Porridge was born. I really wanted to keep the ingredients to a minimum for this recipe. When you are working with so few ingredients, the quality of those ingredients is paramount. The end result of this porridge will be drastically different if made with ingredients sourced at your local farmer's market versus the grocery store. Using superior ingredients will also reduce (if not eliminate) your need to sweeten the porridge with stevia; I didn't need any.
Sweet Corn-Apple Porridge [Vegan]
- 4 cups fresh corn, divided
- 2 large apples, small dice
- 1 c. apple juice
- 1 c. vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 c. gluten-free oats (optional)
- stevia to taste (optional)
- Pour the apple juice and non-dairy milk into your high-speed blender
- Add 2 cups corn, and half of the diced apples to the blender.
- Blend for 1 minute until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, add the remaining corn and diced apple, and mix to incorporate.
- At this point either serve the porridge cold or heat it gently on the stove until it is warm.