In my journey to eat more raw food snacks, I’ve found plenty of options – Go Raw makes an array of fabulous raw cookies in a variety of flavors that I eat on-the-go all the time. Sometimes, though, a girl’s gotta cut costs – and I’ve come up with a version that’s a little more hearty (with the addition of some gluten-free flours) and a little less heavy on the pocketbook. Check out the recipe below and make your own “Go Raw’-like ‘super cookies’:
Tangy Lemon Coconut “Super Cookies”
These lovely little “super cookies” are packed with flavorful goodness. With cleansing ingredients like carrot and lemon juices and protein-packed peanut butter, fiber-and Omega-full flaxseed, and the bright, vibrant flavors of applesauce, lemon, and coconut, these cookies are appropriate any time of the day — for snacking or even for a power breakfast. If you have a dehydrator, you can do with that method; my version below uses the oven and an overnight refrigeration process to mimic the dehydrating process.
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons carrot juice
- ¾ cup sesame seeds
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons raw unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees, or the lowest your oven will go.
- Mix dry ingredients (ground flaxseed, buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, shredded coconut, chia seeds, sugar, baking soda) in medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (lemon juice, carrot juice, coconut oil, peanut butter, applesauce, and apple cider vinegar).
- Stir well until entire mixture is moist.
- Form tablespoon-size balls and flatten with a fork on to well-greased (I use olive oil) baking pan).
- Top cookies with a bit more shredded coconut.
- Heat cookies at 200 degrees for about an hour. The key here is to dehydrate and not cook — you’ll know they’re done when the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 – 20 minutes – then remove cookies from pan with a flat spatula, lay them out on another cool, flat pan.
- Refrigerate overnight to full harden the mixture
- Enjoy the next day!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.