- For vegetables like spinach, store them in a covered container with a paper towel. This will help absorb the moisture and keep your veggies from getting soggy and going bad.
- For stem vegetables like kale, add a little bit of water to a small jar or cup and place the vegetable steps into the water, just like a flower bouquet. This will keep them hydrated and crunchy and last much longer.
- To store your fruits, cut off the stems if necessary and wash them in water and some vinegar. Tap them dry before storing them in a closed and sealed container.
- For herbs, wet a towel and ring out the excess water. Place the towel in a container and wrap your herbs inside. Close the container, and your herbs will stay fresh for much longer.
- Finally, make sure to store all of your fruits and vegetables separately. Also, organize your fruits and vegetables and put the things that will expire first in the front so that you eat those first.
Make sure to check out @spicymoustache for more great eco-friendly DIY tips!
- Secrets to Buying Root Vegetables in Fall for Cheap and Storing Them for the Winter
- Growing, Curing, and Storing Garlic
- Growing, Harvesting, and Storing Winter Squash and Pumpkins
- Crush Plastic in the Kitchen: The Definitive Guide to Storing Food Without Plastic
- How to Repurpose Vegetable Seeds Between Growing Seasons
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.