Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Get the tissues ready! This chimp named Mama was 59 years old, dying and refusing food, but when her old caretaker came to say goodbye, her face lit up.
Source: The Dodo/Youtube
Mama was the matriarch of the colony at the Royal Burgers Zoo in Arnhem, Netherlands. Unfortunately, the chimp was coming to the end of her life and was unable to eat. That’s when the co-founder of the colony and professor of behavioral biology, Jan van Hooff came to visit Mama one last time.
At first, Mama is weak and doesn’t recognize him, but when she does, she looked overfilled with joy. Mama smiles a huge smile and strokes the back of his head. Mama passed away a week later. Jan van Hooff had known her since 1972, and we are sure both are happy they got one last goodbye.
- Watch Former Research Chimpanzees Go Outdoors For The First Time Ever
- Famous Chimpanzee Actor Tonka Found Alive After Owner Faked His Death
- Uninhabited Islands Home to 65 Chimps After Years of US-Funded Experiments
- New Study Finds Chimps Say Hello and Goodbye
- 10 Adorable Rescued Chimpanzee Videos
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!