Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Video footage shows former research chimpanzees going outdoors and touching grass for the first time. The chimpanzees had been used by labs for decades and are now enjoying their new home at chimp haven. Harriet and Betty came to the sanctuary with eight other chimps on a long 14-hour journey by truck. The others can be seen climbing trees 30-feet tall and interacting with the other chimpanzees in the sanctuary.
Source: the dodo/Youtube
Ali Crumpacker, the executive director of Project Chimps, said, “When the federal government ended the use of chimpanzees in invasive medical research, nearly 700 chimps around the US needed a forever home. Those in government-funded studies could go to Chimp Haven, a sanctuary designated for government research chimps.
Chimpanzees aren’t used in animal testing anymore, but other primates are. The National Institutes of Health ended funding for invasive chimpanzee research in 2015. You can donate to Project Chimps here to help them build their new sanctuary habitats. Each chimp costs $22,000 annually, and they can live for 65 years. You can also check out their amazing work on Facebook.
- Heartbreaking Rescue Story of Petal the Cat Who Was Bleeding for 2 Years and Waiting to Die
- After Spending 10 Days Apart Cat Can’t Stop Hugging His Dog Friend (VIDEO)
- This Cat Takes Care of His Sick Best Friend, Who’s a Dog! (VIDEO)
- Watch This Cat and Dog Playing Happily Together!
- Tycho and Refurb: A Lesson in Friendship for All Cats and Dogs (PHOTOS)
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!