Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In the fight against air Pollution, a team of college students from the Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands has developed a unique weapon: a solar-powered car that cleans the air as it drives.
Introducing the Zem car, a vehicle designed to achieve “zero emissions mobility.” This sporty, sleek model is powered by lithium-ion batteries and gets an extra boost from solar panels. But here’s the real kicker: the Zem car is equipped with a carbon capture device that removes carbon dioxide from the air as it cruises along.
This inventive approach to sustainability goes beyond carbon capture technology. The car’s body itself is constructed from recycled plastics, crafted with a 3D printer. A combined effort from student developers and partner sponsors has resulted in a vehicle that truly embodies the spirit of eco-conscious innovation.
The Zem car’s carbon-capturing magic comes from two filters located on its underbelly. As the car moves, the air is pulled through these filters, trapping carbon dioxide. But don’t worry about the hassle of cleaning the filters – the team has thought of that too. They’ve designed an electric vehicle charging station that extracts the carbon, ready to be repurposed into other clean fuels or safely stored away.
While the Zem car is a fascinating concept with a lot of potential, it’s still early days. Its current carbon capture capabilities are modest, snagging 4.41 pounds of carbon dioxide every 20,000 miles. That’s just 0.04% of the average vehicle’s annual carbon output and much less than what an average tree absorbs in a year.
Nevertheless, this trailblazing team has set wheels in motion toward a cleaner, more sustainable future. The Zem car represents a spark of innovation that, with development and refinement, could make a big difference in the world of sustainable transportation. Watch this space!
- Six Flags Magic Mountain Goes Green with Massive Solar Carport
- San Diego-Based Company Creates Futuristic Three-Wheeled Solar Car That Costs Less than $26K!
- The Lightyear 0: First Solar-Powered Production Car Goes on Sale for $260,000
- Solar-Powered Cars Are Now Available For Pre-Order
- A DIY Guide to Building Your Own Solar Powerhouse!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!