Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The first solar-powered production car, The Lightyear 0, is now on sale for a whopping $260,000.
Source: Aptera Owner’s Club/Youtube
The car is an all-electric four-door vehicle with over 50 square feet of solar panels on its hood and roof. The car is being built in Finland by a contract manufacturer, Valmet, known for the Porsche Boxster and original Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid, Fox News reported.
The Dutch startup, Lightyear, says that the car can generate up to 43 miles of electricity per day.
“Starting production of Lightyear 0, the first solar car, brings us a big step closer to our mission of clean mobility for everyone, everywhere,” Lightyear co-founder and CEO Lex Hoefsloot said. “We may be the first to achieve this, but I certainly hope we aren’t the last.”
The Lightyear 0 reportedly has the lowest aerodynamic drag of any production car. To cut down on aerodynamic drag, the startup uses small video cameras instead of side-view mirrors and narrow tires to reduce resistance. The vehicle is also relatively small, weighing around 3,500 pounds.
Along with its solar abilities, it can reportedly also charge a regular electric car and has a range of over 300 miles per charge with a top speed of 100 mph.
The company is reportedly starting production with one vehicle a week but hoping to ramp up to 1,000 annually.
There are no plans to sell the car yet in the United States, but they will likely give an update at CES in Las Vegas this January, Fox News reported.
- Student Entrepreneur Works to Bring Free Solar to the Homeless
- Unmanned, Solar Powered Space Plane Safely Lands Back on Earth After 908 Days
- France Passes Bill to Require All Large Parking Lots to Be Covered with Solar Panels
- Apple Announces New Investments in Wind and Solar to Decarbonize Operations
- This Man Wants to Put Mirrors in Space to Create Solar Power at Night
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!