Elon Musk provided some updates to his pledge of $100 million in prize money to inventors that can remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere or ocean. Musk announced the update and more details about the competition on Earth Day.
“Both cost and scalability need to be addressed. Is it going to be enough carbon to matter, and can we afford it as a civilization? Those are two things that matter,” Musk said on a video on the XPRIZE YouTube account.
“To win the prize teams must demonstrate CO2 removal at the 1000 tonne per year scale, model costs at the million ton per year (megatonne) scale, and present a plan to sustainably reach gigatonne per year scale in future. In the first phase of the competition, teams must demonstrate the key component of their carbon removal solution, at a minimum,” the XPrize website shared under “How to Win.”
The contest will last four years, with the end of the competition on Earth Day, 2025. The grand prize winner will receive $50 million, with up to three runners up receiving $30 million distributed among them.
- Chamath Palihapitiya announced investment into climate change technologies
- Bill Gates Tackles How to Avoid Climate Disaster in New Book
- Bill Gates Says Rich Countries Should Eat Synthetic Meat to Avoid Climate Disaster
- Elon Musk to Give $100 Million Prize to Develop Technology to Capture Carbon Dioxide Emissions
- Meet the 8th Grader Who Created a More Eco-Friendly Version of Elon Musk’s Hyperloop
- Elon Musk’s Donated Water Systems Will Soon Provide Schools in Flint With Access to Safe Clean Drinking Water
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes – with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!