Philanthropist, billionaire, public health expert, and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is promoting his new book, How to Avoid a Climate Disaster, and talking about how we can mitigate the climate crisis. He told MIT Technology Review that part of the answer lies within eating plant-based meats.
He told the outlet that rich countries should focus on plant-based options, “I do think all rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef. You can get used to the taste difference, and the claim is they’re going to make it taste even better over time. Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the [behaviour of] people or use regulation to totally shift the demand.”
“There are all the things where they feed them different food like there’s this one compound that gives you a 20% reduction [in methane emissions],” Gates said. “But sadly, those bacteria [in their digestive system that produce methane] are a necessary part of breaking down the grass. And so I don’t know if there’ll be some natural approach there. I’m afraid the synthetic [protein alternatives like plant-based burgers] will be required for at least the beef thing.”
Read more about Bill Gates, including his comments on coronavirus, and how climate change could be worse than the pandemic.
- New Zealand Teaches Students How to Eat Less Dairy and Meat in New Climate Curriculum
- Study Finds Environmental Impact of Meat Versus Vegetables is Staggering
- Time to Go Plant-Based! Scientists Warn “Peak Meat” Must be Reached Within 10 Years to Fight Climate Change
- 5 Ways Eating More Plant-Based Foods Benefits the Environment
- Scientists Across Europe Call for Meat Reduction to Help Meet Global Climate Goals!
- Plant-Based Diet Decreases Environmental Impact By 42 to 84 Percent!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!