The western states of the U.S. are now the driest that they have been in centuries. According to scientists, the drought in 2021 was “exceptional” and 2022 is likely to follow the same pattern — leading to the label “megadrought.” Researchers say that the western drought is 72% worse due to climate change. And it’s now so bad it would be nearly impossible for even a very wet year to solve the problem.
Los Angeles has invented a creative way to retain and recycle water. It will operate similar to that of the Dune solution to the desertification of western states, and its system must be implemented elsewhere, too. They are expanding the catch-basins and inlets that recharge its aquifers, with a plan to double its annual rainwater capture capacity over the next 15 years, says a news source.
Source: CNBC Television
“The L.A. area is going to be the epicenter of climate adaptation in urban water in the world,” says Felicia Marcus, the former chair of the California State Water Resources Control Board. Sign this petition to urge Las Vegas, San Diego, Sacramento, and other major West Coast cities to follow Los Angeles’s lead!
- To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect Eastern Indigo Snakes
- Protect Birds from Crashing into Windows
- Urge Authorities to Find Animal Abusers in the UK
- Ban Duck Hunting in Victoria
- Justice for Dog Thrown Out of a Moving Car
- Urge Florida to Recommend Children get Vaccinated
- Call on Amazon to Become Carbon Neutral
- Demand Congress Protect North Atlantic Right Whales from Going Extinct
- Tell Missouri to Reject Abortion Bill
- Pressure the US Government to Clean Up Racist Air Pollution Practices
- Ask Swiss Lawmakers to Ban Eating Dogs and Cats
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!