A lawsuit filed by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) alleges that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policies urging Americans to eat more dairy benefit corporate dairy, not Americans.
2020 USDA guidelines recommend that Americans consume three servings of dairy every day. The latest guidelines were adopted recently. While the guidelines don’t influence the choices of Americans directly, they do influence available food for prison inmates, schools, and military bases.
The lawsuit says that the guidelines contradict current medical knowledge and harm Americans that are lactose intolerant. “One charter of the USDA, to market agricultural goods, including meat and dairy products, is in direct conflict with the National Nutrition Monitoring and Related Research Act, which requires that the Dietary Guidelines ‘include nutritional and dietary information and guidelines for the general public’ based on ‘the preponderance of the scientific and medical knowledge which is current at the time the report is prepared,’” explains Dr. Forrester, a family practice physician from Sacramento.
Source: Physicians Committee/YouTube
Read more about plant-based diets in hospitals, schools, and prisons as well as the effects that dairy can have on your health. Check out these articles:
- DC City Council Introduces Law To Ban Processed Meats like Bacon and Hot Dogs in Hospitals
- Good News! Schools, Hospitals, and Other Institutions Across America Are Going Meatless
- NYC Hospital Fights Chronic Health Problems With Vegan Diets
- All New York State Hospitals Will be Required to Offer Patients Plant-Based Meals
- This Company Wants to Bring Plant-Based Chicken Nuggets to Schools, Cafeterias and Hospitals
- APPROVED! California Legislature Approves Bill Providing Vegan Options in Hospitals and Prisons
- Warnings on Meat and Sugar but Not Dairy Released in USDA’s New 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Report
- Everything You Need to Know About the Dairy-Acne Connection
- How Consuming Dairy Can Impact Your Mood
- 15 Easy Recipes that Replace Dairy to Reduce Inflammation
- 5 Side Effects of Consuming Too Much Dairy Protein
- Got Joint Pain? Why Dairy is a Bad Idea
- How Dairy Consumption is Linked to Diseases like Cancer, Blood Sugar, Hormonal Imbalance and Inflammation
Eat More Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!