Countless concerned citizens have sent millions of emails on behalf of the Memphis Zoo pandas YaYa and LeLe to try to get them to be moved to retirement after their loan contract ends in April.
Source: In Defense of Animals/YouTube
In Defense of Animals (IDA) issued a new alert calling for the panda’s retirement and has already gotten over 25,000 supporters. A previous alter for the pandas that were published summer of 2021 gained over 88,000 supporters. Together, the organization has generated over 1 million emails to decision-makers on behalf of the pandas.
The Giant pandas YaYa and LeLe have been kept at the Memphis Zoo in Tennessee since 2003, and there are numerous concerns about their health and well-being. Especially in recent years, the pandas have suffered a noticeable decrease in their health.
They appear to be distressed and malnourished in their small and dirty enclosures. IDA also reported that they are displaying a form of stereotypical stress behavior known as zoochosis. YaYa has had severe fur loss due to chronic infection from mites, and LeLe has broken molars. Both pandas show a lack of interest in the bamboo that is offered to them, and they can be seen pacing around their enclosures and even displaying self-harming behavior or sleeping all day.
Now, for nearly two decades, the pandas have been living in small enclosures and only sharing one outdoor yard. They reportedly don’t even have daily access to the larger outdoor areas. IDA reported that in a documented period, YaYa was only allowed four times outdoors in four weeks.
Awareness is growing, and people are advocating for the panda’s release. Billie Eilish has also been a huge advocate for the panda’s release.
We're thrilled @billieeilish has joined our campaign with @pandavoicesorg to free YaYa & LeLe from horrendous suffering at #MemphisZoo – thank you Billie 🐼 Be like Billie… act now!
Sign our alert https://t.co/2edO3lF1SI
RT & donate to support our work https://t.co/XhA9h5VeGZ pic.twitter.com/IL3ONKiadr
— In Defense Of Animals (@IDAUSA) February 8, 2022
Thankfully, the loan contract between China and the Memphis Zoo is ending in April 2023. It is more important than ever to push for the zoo to return the pandas to China. These pandas deserve a better life!
Sign this petition to end Pandas YaYa and LeLe’s suffering and send them back home now!
- Billie Eilish Joins Campaign to Save Suffering Pandas at Memphis Zoo
- Captive Camel Escapes Petting Zoo and Kills Two Men
- University of Memphis Please Stop Using a Live Tiger as Your Mascot!
- No Panda Prison in NYC! Make Your Voice Heard Now and Stop the Import of Pandas from China
- Major Facepalm! ‘Sanctuary’ Promotes Conservation by Painting Captive Elephants Like Pandas
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
I am so sick of this world and the cruelties that seem never ending 💔