New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is planning to put a large Black Lives Matter mural outside of Trump Tower, in midtown Manhattan. The mural will be painted on the street between 56th and 57th streets along Fifth Avenue, according to the New York Post.
The idea came after D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser painted “Black Lives Matter” along the street on the road to the White House. The mural will be put up by July 4. Multiple murals are planned across all five boroughs.
A spokesperson for the mayor explained the motivation behind the mural, “The President is a disgrace to the values we cherish in New York City,” Julia Arredondo said. “He can’t run or deny the reality we are facing, and any time he wants to set foot in the place he claims is his hometown, he should be reminded Black Lives Matter.”
President Trump tweeted once he heard the news. His tweet read, “Told that @NYCMayor Bill de Blasio wants to paint the fabled & beautiful Fifth Avenue, right in front of Trump Tower/Tiffany, with a big yellow Black Lives Matter sign. “Pigs in a Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon”, referring to killing Police, is their chant. NYC Police are furious!”
De Blasio tweeted back at Trump, saying, “Only warped minds equate the words Black Lives Matter with violence.”
Read all our coverage on the protests against racism in One Green Planet:
- #BlackLivesMatter: 10 Inspiring Black Voices Diversifying the Environmental Movement
- #BlackLivesMatter: Victory! NY Repeals 50-A Requiring Full Disclosure of Police Misconduct
- #BlackLivesMatter: Louisville Bans “No-Knock” Raids After Breonna Taylor Was Killed
- #BlackLivesMatter: Killing Black Americans is a Public Health and Human Rights Crisis
- Petition: Justice for Breonna Taylor, Black Woman Killed by Police in her Own Home
Here’s what you can do:
Also, remember to register to vote if you haven’t already. This is one of the simplest ways to make your voice heard as a citizen.Here are some resources for you:
Places to donate:
- Donate to Black Lives Matter here.
- Get involved with your local BLM chapter: The full list is here or start your own.
- Many protestors are getting arrested and being held. Donate to bail funds in your city, here or here.
- HBCUBuzz has a listing of lawyers and legal resources for protestors, organized by state.
- Resources and donations by the National Police Accountability Project.
- Learn about Campaign Zero, which works to end police violence in America.
- The New York Times has put together an anti-racist reading list.
- National Black Bailout Fund, which works towards ending systems of mass incarceration and freeing imprisoned black mothers.
- Visit Louisville Community Bail Fund to contribute towards bail for protesters in Louisville.
Petitions to Sign:
- Justice for George Floyd
- Petition to end medical racism
- Justice for Breonna Taylor
- Justice for Ahmaud Arbery
- Justice for Tony McDade, Black trans man killed by police
For a more extensive resource list, please see the collection put together by Black Lives Matter.
Through this grief and anger, we must unite and work together to create the change we want to see. Let’s make sure no black child has to ever say these heartbreaking words ever again.