Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This video from Animal Defenders International (ADI) shares the story of four monkeys who have been rescued from the illegal pet trade. Watch their release at the ADI monkey facility at Pilpintuwasi Animal Orphanage in the Amazon rainforest!
Pirate, Matias, Otto, and Chepa are three monkeys that were illegally stolen from the wild and sold as pets by animal traffickers in Lima, the capital city of Peru. Thankfully, the Peruvian wildlife officials from SERFOR found two of the monkeys and brought them to safety. The other two monkeys were found left alone at a restaurant. Luckily, someone was there to look after them until they found a more permanent home at the ADI monkey facility.
Jan Creamer, President of ADI, said, “This is a happy ending for these monkeys. What must the four little capuchins have been thinking as they: Heard the sounds of the forest burst into life that morning, the air filled with the calls of other monkeys; smelt the lush, damp vegetation; saw the cage door open and the forest beckon; touched and tasted the leaves of the plants?”
Taking these animals from the wild for our enjoyment is driving them toward extinction, which not only eliminates a species but puts others in danger by disrupting delicate ecosystems. Exotic animals belong in the wild. If the demand for exotic pets did not exist, the exotic pet trade would not exist. So, if you agree that keeping exotic animals as pets is cruel, don’t Support it either. Do not buy from pet shops or dealers. Leave the wild in the wild.
Animal shelters are filled with cats and dogs who need loving families and homes. You can also Support the legislation to ban the ownership of exotic animals. With over 200 million live animal trades having taken place since 1975, governments must crack down on this cruel trade to protect individual animals and threatened species.
- We Must End the Primate Pet Trade Before More People Get Attacked or Killed
- 5 Animals That are Victims of the Exotic Pet Trade
- Overweight Tree Frog That Went Viral Highlights Cruelty Within Reptile Pet Trade
- How Our Obsession With Pocket Pets Fuels the Exotic Pet Trade
- New Report Finds that the EU is a Hotspot for Exotic Pet Trade
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!