Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The study revealed that more breeding pairs were “divorcing,” which involves one albatross cheating on the other. This is unusual since albatross relationships are usually very loyal and firm, sticking to one partner for life. Only 1% of albatross couples end up splitting, which just shows, how loyal these creatures really are.
This divorce rate has recently moved up to 8%, leading specialists to look at Climate change and how it may be impacting albatross pairs. One suspicion is that the heated temperatures are causing albatrosses to hunt for longer periods of time, leading to one albatross moving on to a different mate in the meantime. It could also be linked to higher stress hormones that go up when they have to live in a harsher environment.
Many albatross populations are struggling to breed properly, as their higher divorce rates are causing a disruption in the breeding season. This is not a dire issue at the moment, but very well could be in the future – especially as global temperatures rise higher and higher.
This is just one more side effect of Climate change that should be getting our attention and sparking more change.
- How Whale Poop Might Help Fight Climate Change
- What Will Happen to the Penguin Population as Climate Change Worsens?
- The Shocking Way Plastic Impacts the World’s Bird Population
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!