Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This realization also means that some of the largest whales also defecate a great deal more, which can actually have a huge impact on the ocean’s ecosystem by helping to bloom carbon-absorbing phytoplankton. These phytoplankton help to create the base of ocean food webs. Whale poop also adds iron to the ecosystem, where there may be limited amounts of iron occurring naturally.
Nicholas Pyenson, co-author and curator of fossil marine mammals at the Smithsonian’s National Museum, said, “Our results suggest the contribution of whales to global productivity and carbon removal was probably on par with the forest ecosystems of entire continents, in terms of scale. Helping whales recover could restore lost ecosystem functioning and provide a natural climate solution.”
The study showed just how important whales are for the oceans, as they help the ecosystem thrive and produce more food. This creates a circular effect where the whales and the ocean help maintain a balanced ecosystem.
- 10 Simple Actions That Just Might Save Our World’s Oceans From Plastic
- 10 Amazing Videos of Ocean Conservationists Interacting with Sharks
- Center for Biological Diversity Launches Lawsuit to Protect Humpback Whales
- Plastic Pollution is Killing Plankton. How the Loss of This Species Threatens the Oceans
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!