Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
It is easy to overlook the countless animals languishing in overcrowded shelters, desperately waiting for a loving forever home. These animals, often traumatized and in need of socialization, can find solace and companionship in the kindness of foster homes. But what about the resident pets who witness many furry friends come and go? This is the story of Dunder, a rescue cat, and his remarkable journey through fostering, friendship, and finding his forever family.
Dunder’s human, Sara Bonner, never considered herself a “cat person” until she started a new job in 2016. Surrounded by coworkers who were avid cat lovers, Sara was gradually won over by the allure of feline companionship. It all began when a colleague asked her to care for their kitten while they were away on vacation. That brief experience ignited a spark in Sara’s heart, and when the time came for the kitten to return to its owner, Sara couldn’t bear to let go. She promptly applied to adopt Dunder from City Dogs and City Kitties Rescue.
Dunder soon became an integral part of Sara’s life. Over the years, he opened his heart and home to 22 foster cats, each arriving with their unique set of challenges and needs. Sara noticed something extraordinary about Dunder’s ability to adapt and empathize with his temporary companions. “I think that Dunder is so great with fosters because he has this innate ability to sense what the other cat needs,” Sara said.
Dunder’s exceptional talent for making newcomers feel at ease didn’t go unnoticed. Sara briefly ran a cat-sitting business, where she and Dunder provided a haven for more than 50 cats over the years. It became clear that most cats, given a chance, could thrive with a feline buddy. It was a testament to the power of companionship in the world of rescue animals.
Five years into their shared journey, Sara and Dunder welcomed a new member into their household: Sara’s boyfriend. With this significant change, they decided to take a break from fostering to settle into their new routine. Yet, as time passed, it became evident that Dunder was missing the company of fellow cats. The desire to adopt a second cat had always lingered in Sara’s mind, and with her life becoming more stable, the perfect moment had arrived.
However, finding the right companion for Dunder proved to be a challenging task. Sara wanted a cat who not only needed a home but could also forge a meaningful connection with her beloved Dunder. After countless sleepless nights and thorough research, Sara discovered Mose, a shy and reserved cat who had been stuck in foster care for more than eight months.
Mose’s past experiences with humans had left her skittish and reluctant to trust. She had spent months in her foster home before allowing her foster mom to pet her. However, the turning point came when she moved in with Dunder. His constant presence in the loft where Mose initially hid was a comforting force. Sara described how Dunder stayed close to Mose, always just a few feet away, sharing naps and attempting to establish a connection.
The breakthrough occurred when, after two weeks of hiding, Mose ventured out of her sanctuary and joined Sara, her boyfriend, and Dunder in the living room. It was a heartwarming moment of progress that filled Sara with joy. Mose’s gradual transformation from a timid and fearful cat to a trusting and affectionate companion was a testament to the power of love, patience, and the Support of a fellow feline friend.
Today, Dunder and Mose are inseparable, their bond stronger than ever. They’ve become “thick as thieves,” in Sara’s words, and their friendship has blossomed into a heartwarming tale of two cats who found companionship, love, and a forever home.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Cat Is Definitely the Boss in Her Friendship with Dog
- Best Friends & Roommates! Frenchie and Cat Show Adorable Bond in TikTok Video
- Cat Finds Friendship in a Lizard’s Vivarium
- Blind and Deaf Pup Locates His Friends by Punching Them
- Cat Tries to Convince Human to Adopt Foster Kitten
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!