Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Breakthrough Energy is supporting the startup LanzaJet, which is building its first commercial plants and will begin production next year. The facility will reportedly double the current United States capacity for sustainable aviation fuel.
Sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF, is a solution that is made from sustainable sources and could ultimately replace fossil fuel in the air travel industry.
LanzaJet creates sustainable fuel by taking ethanol from sources like sugarcane in Brazil, waste gas in China, or corn in the US. They then chemically convert it to SAF and renewable diesel. According to the company, depending on the feedstock used to make the ethanol, the fuel could emit as much as 85 percent less than the current fuel.
Unfortunately, the process is still expensive and energy intensive. The $50 million grant will help bring the cost down and make SAF possible. The company also received a grant worth $14 million from the US Department of Energy.
Fortune reported that the first LanzaJet plant in Georgia will produce 9 million gallons of SAF and 1 million gallons of renewable diesel annually. Although 14 billion gallons of aviation fuel are consumed by the United States each year, this will be a great start. The company plans to continue to expand and grow its company to make SAF a reality.
Other companies are working on SAF as well, including Finnish company Neste, which is set to bt the world’s largest provider of renewable fuels. There’s also World Energy which is the leader in the production of low-carbon fuels in the United States. They are currently the only commercial-scale SAF production facility. Alder Fuels is also creating SAF by converting forest and crop waste into crude oil that can be used to produce aviation fuel.
- Boeing Shares Goal for its Airlines to Fly on 100% Biofuel by 2030
- Sustainable Plant Aviation Fuel Could Reduce Emissions by 68%
- Battery Operated Planes Are Coming Sooner Than You Think
- Bill Gates Tackles How to Avoid Climate Disaster in New Book
- US Greenhouse Gas Emissions Fell 10% in 2020 Partly Due to Covid
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!