Norway is working towards cutting down pollution with the world’s first zero-emissions public transportation network. Oslo is on course to become the first capital city in the entire world to have an all-electric public transport system, Euro News reports.
Oslo hopes to reach its goal by the end of 2023 as a part of its grand plan to become the world’s first completely emissions-free city by 2030. Oslo has already electrified most of the ferries, and it also has an extremely large tram and bike network.
The country will swap out the old diesel-fueled buses with 450 brand-new electric ones. They believe it will be a great investment and save the city a tremendous amount of money in the long run.
“The maintenance is cheaper, it’s also cheaper for the operators of the electric buses,” Sirin Stav, Oslo’s Vice-Mayor who leads the environment and transport, said. “All in all, this is a win-win situation.”
Through the plan, they hope to cut emissions, reduce noise, and improve air quality. This is an amazing goal and we hope that other cities around the world will follow Oslo’s lead!
Remember, the single most impactful action an individual can take is choosing to eat more plant-based foods. A 2021 study found that global greenhouse gas emissions from animal-based foods are twice those of plant-based foods, while the IPCC’s sixth assessment report, entitled Mitigation of Climate change, supports a shift to vegan diets (rich in pulses, nuts, fruits, and vegetables, and devoid of any animal-derived product) as it could reduce food-related GHG emissions by 29 percent (estimated at 6.5 GtCO2e).
- Petition: Support the British Transport Workers’ Strike
- Air France Announced They Will Stop Transporting Non-Human Primates to Laboratories
- Pete Buttigieg Confirmed as Secretary of Transportation
- Companies Working to Produce Steel Without Carbon Emissions To Curb Climate Change
- Burp-Catching Mask Invented For Cows to Reduce Methane Emissions
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!