On May 28, Cory Booker joined eight other Senators in sending a letter to the Senate asking for them to stop higher-speed slaughter for chickens, pigs and cows during the coronavirus pandemic. In an emailed statement, Mercy for Animals joined the Senators in asking them to consider animal rights.
“COVID-19 has shined a spotlight on the immense suffering animals and slaughterhouse workers endure for cheap meat,” said Leah Garcés, president of Mercy For Animals, in an emailed statement. “High-speed slaughter lines increase the risk of human error that results in the slaughter of fully conscious animals. They also force workers to stand close together, making slaughterhouses hotspots for the spread of COVID-19, which also endangers surrounding communities. Mercy For Animals, along with 21 other organizations that protect workers, consumers, and animals, is calling on Congress to prohibit higher-speed slaughter of birds, pigs, and cows. We must transform our inefficient, inhumane, and unsustainable food system. We can start today by passing this commonsense legislation.”
You can learn more about high-speed slaughter in the video, below:
Sign your name to let Senators know they need to add this provision!
- We Need to Adjust our Diets Post-Coronavirus
- Multiple Meat Production Plants Close as Pandemic Spreads
- Pork Producers Plan to Kill Baby Pigs Unless they Get $1 Billion Government Bailout
- Delaware Plant Forced to Kill 2 Million Chickens Due to Staff Shortages Caused by Coronavirus
- Hundreds of Meat and Poultry Workers Sick from COVID-19
- One of the Largest U.S. Pork Processing Plants Closes After Over 200 Workers Tested Positive for COVID-19
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!