A new study has found that diets higher in protein, specifically plant protein, are linked to lower rates of early death. The report was published in the British Medical Journal and points to diets that include lentils, nuts, and beans could lower the risk of early death.
Replacing meat with a plant-based protein could increase the length of your life. Doctors found reduced death from cardiovascular diseases when patients chose plant-based proteins. 3% increase in plant proteins each day was associated with a 5% lower risk of death, per the study.
- 26 Delicious Vegan Protein Sources
- 10 Tips to Up Your Protein Intake in Every Plant-Based Meal
- 10 Things to Add to Salads for More Protein Power
- Can You Get Sufficient Protein from Only Eating Raw Fruits and Vegetables?
“These findings have important public health implications as intake of plant protein can be increased relatively easily by replacing animal protein and could have a large effect on longevity,” the researchers said in a statement.
- 15 High-Protein Quinoa Salads and Bowls
- 15 Protein-Packed Vegan Recipes That Feature Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils, and More Pulses!
- 15 High-Protein Chickpea Curry Recipes!
- 15 Hearty High-Protein Lentil Burgers!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!