Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
You likely already stock this magical, natural ingredient in your home, but if not, you’ll want to soon. Apple cider vinegar, also known as ACV, is one of the most popular, natural remedies relied on today that has been used for decades to provide healing to all parts of the body. It’s also a fantastic non-toxic cleaning agent to keep around the house, and it even makes an effective— and highly affordable—natural facial toner to relieve acne.
But ACV is most powerful in its ability to provide healing to the body on a cellular level in a very short amount of time, sometimes minutes depending on the ailment at hand. Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apples, which develops healthy organisms known as prebiotics. These organisms are what feed good bacteria in the body known as probiotics that are housed within our digestive systems and contribute to our overall well-being. Keeping a healthy eco-system with natural foods nourishes not just the digestive system where probiotics provide a large part of their healing and regulating effects, but also helps maintain a healthy microbiome. This can help reduce inflammation in the digestive system, joints, and even other areas of the body such as the heart, blood, and more.
Treating Inflammation Naturally
Inflammation starts in our guts and in our cells. It festers quickly and is caused by high amounts of stress, lack of sleep, a diet high in refined sugar and refined grains, unhealthy and manmade fats, excessive animal protein, excessive caffeine and alcohol, drugs, and a diet high in processed foods. Symptoms include digestive problems, joint point, headaches, fatigue, high susceptibility to sickness, acne, and harsher forms of disease if chronic inflammation occurs, such as heart disease and diabetes. Many people turn to over the counter options to heal these ailments, but they only contribute to inflammation further because they’re filled with synthetic, chemical-based ingredients our bodies don’t recognize. While one food can not heal the body from inflammation, many foods are extremely potent in their abilities to bring relief, cleansing of the cells, and are much better options than over the counter drugs. One of these, as you might guess, is ACV.
The Simple Nutritional Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains a variety of nutrients that help in its ability to do many things in the body that reduce inflammation fairly quickly. It has an alkaline pH, so it keeps our blood from becoming too acidic, which is what ultimately makes us feel so poorly. ACV can also reduce insulin in the body to balance blood sugar levels, it helps the body produce enough hydrochloric acid (HCL) needed for optimal digestion and assimilation of nutrients, it contains a large amount of potassium which reduces pain, it assists with natural cleansing and elimination, can relieve a minor headache and joint pain, flushes the cells of wastes, and promotes a healthy heart and blood pressure levels. Finally, it contains vitamin C that reduces inflammation, stress, and contributes to a healthy immune system to keep the body strong.
Here are 5 Simple Options to use ACV as a Natural Remedy:
1. ACV Morning Iced Tonic
Combine 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water. Add ice for a chilled option (particularly refreshing right after you workout or wake up in the morning), or drink at room temperature.
2. Natural ACV Tea
Add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to warm water and lemon to drink as a natural tea. Add a green tea bag for even more healing effects.
3. ACV Spiked Smoothie or Simple Salad Dressing
Add apple cider vinegar to a fruit-based smoothie to add a tangy, zesty twist or use apple cider vinegar as a natural salad dressing.
4. ACV Simple Shot
Take it plain in the morning as a shot!
5. ACV Healthy, Cleansing Super Shot
Make a cleansing shot with water, the juice from one lemon, cayenne pepper, and a touch of stevia to add sweetness. (Cayenne and lemon are both naturally anti-inflammatory and cleansing too.)
How Much to Use?
You can use a few of these options per day, just be mindful that you shouldn’t overdo it to make up for a poor diet. Implement 1-3 of these options above each day in conjunction with a healthy diet. ACV is also acidic by nature, even though it alkalizes the body once it reacts with our blood, though too much may lead to some discomfort because it’s so powerful. So, like most natural remedies, a little will go a long way.
But be Sure You Use the Best Kind
When you buy apple cider vinegar and are looking to benefit from it the most, go for unpasteurized, raw and organic apple cider vinegar with “the mother.” This is the healthy organism that develops during fermentation and provides medicinal benefits.
Or if you’re particularly savvy and enjoy home projects, make your own apple cider vinegar—it’s easier than you think!
For more healing benefits, see Tips for Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Chronic Yeast Infections, and then tell us—do you use this natural remedy for inflammation relief?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!