People have been following the Ayurvedic lifestyle for thousands of years. The name is a combination of two Sanskrit words that are translated as life (Ayur) and science (Veda). It is a form of holistic medicine that originated in India and is all about supporting healthy digestion with mindful food choices. It places a focus on balancing different types of energy within your body and is often personalized with foods to eat based on what will work best for your own body. This way of eating can improve your health and your mental wellness!
What Are The Benefits?
- Improved digestion
- Improved gut health
- Encourages you to eat more whole foods
- Promotes weight management
- Promotes mindfulness
What Can You Eat?
The Ayurvedic diet has set guidelines for what, how, and when you should eat. These guidelines are based on your dosha or your body type. According to Ayurveda, there are three categories that people fall under. Each dosha has its own set of characteristics and suggestions for how to eat and live to receive the most health benefits.
Pitta (fire + water)
People with a dominant Pitta tend to be very athletic and muscular leaders. They are very goal-oriented, motivated in all aspects of life, and can be competitive. They are very self-determined in everything they set their minds to and can master skills easily. They also have a strong appetite and perfect digestion. According to ancient practices, grains like wheat, white rice, barley, and oats, and fruits such as grapes, mango, pomegranate, pineapple, oranges, melon, cherries, coconut, avocado, and plums are said to be especially beneficial for Pittas.
Vata (air + space)
People with a dominant Vata dosha are usually characterized as having a thin, light build. They are naturally energetic and creative and love constant change. Some of their strengths include thinking outside the box, multi-tasking, and being quick learners. According to Ayurveda, Vatas should “follow a regular daily routine, manage stress through meditation and other calming activities, and maintain a warm body temperature by avoiding cold weather and consuming warm foods and drinks.” Hot fluids like soups or stews, avocado, coconut, olives, berries, nuts, and seeds are just some of the best foods for Vatas to consume.
Kapha (earth + water)
People with a dominant Kapha are strong, steady, stable, and methodical. They’re known for being caring, trustworthy, patient, and thick-boned. They are easy-going and calm and prefer warm, dry climates. To maintain optimal health, Kaphas should try and stick to a regular exercise routine and a healthy diet. Kapha should try and eat more vegetables like asparagus, cucumbers, celery, and okra, grains like wheat, white rice, barley, and oats, and calming spices such as coriander and cardamom.
How to Cook Ayurvedically
Source: Banyan Botanicals/YouTube
Kendra, an Ayurvedic chef and teacher, explains that Ayurvedic cooking is all about supporting healthy digestion with mindful food choices and preparation. In her video, she shares her wisdom on how to best cook foods ayurvedically that will best Support your Agni (digestive fire)! Kendra shares some helpful tips on how to make sure you are selecting the right herbs and spices and approaching all of your meals with loving-kindness, as she says.
- 10 Recipes That Follow the Principles of Ayurveda
- Ayurvedic Spinach-Mung Detox Soup
- Ayurvedic Falafel
- Ayurvedic Turmeric Lassi
- Ginger Elixir: An Ayurvedic Digestive Drink
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.