Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
It’s no secret that humans have had a negative impact on the environment. Pollution, single-use plastic, overconsumption, landfill waste, and the burning of fossil fuels are just a few of the ways we have triggered Climate change and endangered the lives of people and animals. While we cannot undo the damage that has already been done, we can choose to be a part of the solution from here on out!
Here are 5 ways we pollute the environment and how you can get involved and make a positive change.
1. Fast Fashion
As trends continue to change and consumers buy more and more clothes, the fast fashion industry has flourished, mass-producing trendy clothing using cheap, exploitative labor and environmentally-harmful processes. Shockingly, from the year 2000 to 2015, “Clothing sales doubled from 100 to 200 billion units a year, while the average number of times an item was worn decreased by 36 percent overall.” By mass producing these cheaply made Apparel and garments, massive amounts of greenhouse gas emissions enter the atmosphere, water sources are depleted, and carcinogenic chemicals, dyes, salts, and heavy metals are dumped into waterways.
2. Textile Dyeing & Water Contamination
Textile dyeing is one of the largest polluters of water. Dyeing clothes to get bright colors and finishes that are often seen in the fast fashion industry require large amounts of water and chemicals, which sadly end up being dumped in nearby bodies of water. These toxic textile dyes can harm the health of soil, cause harm to bodies of water and threaten the flora and fauna in the environment.
About 60 percent of all garments contain polyester, a synthetic fabric made with fossil fuels. When repeatedly washed, synthetic garments shed microfibers (microplastics) that eventually end up polluting waterways and never biodegrade. Not only are microplastics horrible for the environment, as they never truly disappear, but studies have shown that they have been found in human blood. It’s more important now than ever to move away from single-use plastic.
Landfills pollute all aspects of our environment. From the air we breathe to the soil and even bodies of water. Shockingly, almost 85 percent of textiles end up in landfills, where it could take up to 200 years for materials to decompose. This is not only a huge waste of the resources used in these products but also releases more Pollution as clothes are burned or sit in landfills, releasing greenhouse emissions. This is why it’s so important to reuse or repurpose old items and give them a new life!
5. Fossil Fuels
The fashion industry has a large carbon footprint and accounts for 10 percent of global human-emitted greenhouse gasses. About 60 percent of all garments contain polyester, a synthetic fabric made with fossil fuels. Emissions of CO2 for polyester in clothing are nearly 3 times higher than those for cotton, Greenpeace reported.
How You Can Be Part Of The Change
Source: Tiny Rescue Climate Collection
In 2023, simply knowing about the environmental crisis is not enough. Take initiative and be part of the solution by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
Tiny Rescue was created as a way to solve fast fashion. Using only natural and recycled materials, sustainable business practices, and implementing a circular model, the brand is revolutionizing the fashion industry while looking to raise public awareness for different causes.
The brand’s clothing is as sustainable as it comes! It is:
- 100% plastic-free
- Certified net carbon neutral
- Made from natural or recycled materials
- Produced in fair-trade factories
- Powered by renewable energy supply chains
- Printed using water-based inks
- Made on demand, no inventory!
- Shipped in plant-based packaging
- The Environmental and Social Impact of Top Holiday Gifts
- Tips for Making Your Holidays a Little More Environmentally-Friendly
- Easy Swaps to Help Make Your Holidays Waste Free!
- Australian Artist Uses Sand to Create Art and Reduce Waste
- Petition: Ban Single-Use Plastic; Microplastics Have Now Been Found in Antarctica
- Baby Bottles Release Microplastics, Per New Study
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!