The wheelchair was made for George Bailey by Walkin’ Pets, a pet mobility company in New Hampshire. Rescued by Jaime Loebener from an exotic animal facility in Tennessee, the tortoise was born with a bone disease that prevented his legs from developing fully. Before the wheelchair, he would drag himself around.
“He uses his front legs to pull his way around slowly and clumsily. The bigger he’s gotten, the more difficult this has been for him. He currently weighs close to 70 lbs. but may grow to weigh over 200 lbs,” Loebener told Walkin’ Pets, according to a statement from the company.
The adjustable wheelchair will grow with 11-year old George Bailey, who could live to be 100 years old! The wheelchair includes an adjustable strap and all-terrain wheels. And George Bailey seems thrilled with his new set of wheels! Loebener said the tortoise is “very enthusiastic about his wheelchair.”
- Selfless People Help Abandoned Horse Get a Prosthetic Leg – Watch to See Her Learn to Walk!
- Puppy Without Paw Adopted by Boy With Prosthetic Leg
- Disabled Goldfish Gets Life Jacket to Help Him Swim!
- 90 Year Old Tortoise Gets a Sweet Pair of Wheels After Losing Her Front Legs
- Derby the Two-Legged Dog Gets a New Set of Prosthetics – Now He’s Ready to Take on the World (VIDEO)
- Three-Legged Kitten Rescued on the Day He Was Supposed to Be Euthanized [Video]
- Tiny Tortoise Unable to Walk Gets Some Wheels! [Video]
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!