Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
It’s certainly not every day that a casual visit to the beach ends up in a life-saving mission – but that is exactly what happened on Jensen Beach in Florida … and luckily, it was all caught on video.
A man on the beach who was fishing (ironically) with his friends noticed something unusual. Close to the shore was a blacktip shark struggling vehemently to get out of something tangled around its body – turns out, the animal was trapped in a fishing line.
Unwilling to watch the shark struggle, the men rushed to see if they could help. In an act of bravery, one of them jumped into the water and dragged the shark to land. There, they were able to steady the shark, remove the hook from its mouth, and cut the line. After successfully removing the hook, the shark was flipped on its back (this method renders the shark immobile) and pulled back into the water.
What happened to the Jansen Beach shark is a great example of the horrible phenomenon of “by-catch”. Every year, millions of marine animals like sharks, dolphins, whales, and turtles become tangled in ghost nets and lines that are left behind by the commercial fishing industry. This shark was lucky to encounter people kind enough to risk saving him, but this is sadly not usually the case. Share this post and raise awareness for marine animals – and remember, if you ever spot a marine animal in distress, contact a professional before taking action. What this man did was heroic, but also very dangerous – for him and the shark – so please, refrain from doing anything without any professional input.
For a list of marine animal hotlines you can try, click here.
- Lifeguard Carried Out the Most Epic Shark Rescue You Can Imagine (And it Might Not Be What You Think)
- Shark Injured by Rope Cooperates With Brave Rescuers and Shows Appreciation After
- Amazing Shark Rescue Off the Coast of Australia (VIDEO)
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!