Recently, a user on Reddit, u/_Tryonite_, posted in the r/vegan forum about how they had just found out that taurine gets added to cat food.
You can’t make this up! Taurine get ADDED to catfood!
by u/_Tryonite_ in vegan
The user explained that they were watching an episode of Our Hen House, where someone is trying to produce cultured meat for pet food.
“You know all that stuff about how cats are ‘obligate carnivores’ that centres on their need for taurine? Well, turns out that the way animal bodies are processed for petfood leads to taurine, among other things, being lost along the way, and petfood manufacturers generally have to add it back in at the end.”
“That’s right,” the user continued, “your meat-based catfood is based on supplemental nutrients, not nutrients inherent in the animal-derived product. A quick bit of googling throws up several resources that seem to confirm this.”
Taurine is an amino acid that is commonly found in animal tissue. It is a sulfur-containing compound and is not used by the body to build proteins like other amino acids. Instead, it plays an important role in many physiological processes.
One user commented on the post saying, “And yet somehow the non vegs will be up in arms still, because vegans found a way for cats to get all of their nutritional needs without killing other animals.”
Another user explained that they have a plant-based cat and said “I’ll chime in as someone with a plant based cat on our vet’s advice (and our vet isn’t vegan).”
“Cats need nutrients not ingredients, same humans. Most cat kibble is macronutrients fortified with a bunch of micronutrients. If you read the label, you’ll see that conventional cat kibble also includes vegetable macronutrients. Plant based cat kibble is the same, just slightly different macronutrient sources.”
“It’s actually very easy to have a plant based cat. 1. Buy commercially available plant based cat kibble like Ami, Benovo, Evolution, etc. There’s lots. 2. Monitor your cat’s urine pH every now and then, because realistically the only risk to a plant based cat on pre-made kibble is higher urine pH. If the urine pH is too high, switch brands or add an acidifier like Vitamin C or Methionine (which no coincidence is also an essential amino acid).”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments!
Ahisma Tee By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Rescue Dog Extremely Cautious of New Cat Friend
- Cat Does Not Like Human’s Answer To This Question [Video]
- Internet Fascinated By The Bizarre Sound This Cat Makes
- Cocaine Cat: Wild Cat in Cincinnati Found with Cocaine in its System
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!