Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Although it may seem fine to let your dog drink from puddles when they’re thirsty, it can be quite dangerous for pups. This is because they may be contaminated with toxins, bacteria, and parasites. Veterinarian Dr. Sarah Gorman explains why puddles can be so dangerous for dogs in a Newsweek article.
According to Dr. Gorman, there are lots of reasons why drinking from puddles is dangerous for dogs. The stagnant water can carry diseases due to being contaminated with parasites, bacteria, or viruses. If ingested, these can lead to health issues. The bacteria that causes Leptospirosis can also be found in standing water. Leptospirosis is a dangerous bacterial infection that can have devastating consequences for dogs. Mosquitoes also love standing water such as puddles. Mosquitoes can spread diseases including heartworm.
Puddles may also contain substances that are toxic to dogs. Fertilizers, pesticides, antifreeze, and other toxic substances can be found in some puddles. These can poison a dog if they are ingested. Since puddles are often murky, other dangerous objects may also lurk in them. Debris or sharp objects may harm your dog or pose a choking hazard.
Finally, Dr. Gorman also warns that allowing dogs to drink from puddles can cause them to shun the clean, fresh water in their dishes. This can lead to dehydration.
To prevent dogs from drinking from puddles, it is important to watch them closely. If you suspect that a dog has drunk from a puddle, monitor them closely and seek veterinary assistance at the first sign of illness.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Vet Explains Top 3 Signs Dog Is Sick
- Dog Listens to Vet Advice in Viral Video!
- Viral Video Shows How Vet Builds Trust with Scared Dog
- 5 Signs Your Dog Trusts You, According to a Veterinarian
- Heroic Vet Saves Choking Dog Using External Extraction Technique
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!