Every year, millions of healthy cats and dogs are euthanized in the United States because of overcrowding at shelters and not enough adoption opportunities.
While many organizations are dedicated to helping this problem, much more needs to be done. The cost of spay and neuter surgeries for cats and dogs varies, but it can cost a family between $50–$500. Especially in today’s time, that cost is too much for many families, and it cuts their pets off from this essential care.
Although some states have created programs to help cut the cost of spay and neuter surgeries, not every state provides this access. New Mexico has a law that charges large pet food manufacturer’s a fee upon product registration and uses that funding to give to spay and neuter programs. Vermont has an incentive program that is funded through a small pet registration fee. These states have seen life-saving success with dropping euthanasia rates.
Programs that implement an affordable spay and neuter program work and save countless lives. Spay and neuter surgeries should be more affordable, and we need the state’s help!
Sign this petition to urge all US states to pass affordable spay and neuter programs to save millions of cats and dogs!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Ban Animal Abuser From Owning Animals Again After He Abandoned Them and Let Them Starve to Death
- Tell the EU and US to Protect and Rescue the Remaining Lions in Ukraine
- Tell Canada to Establish a National Animal Cruelty Hotline
- Tell the UK to Enforce Animal Protection and Animal Testing Laws Properly
- Tell the IUCN to Protect Big Tuskers and All Elephants from Poachers
- Tell the EPA to Finally Ban the Dangerous Weed Killer, Paraquat, like the Rest of the World
- Tell SeaWorld to Finally Send All Dolphins to Sanctuaries
- Demand the Release of British-Egyptian Activist Alaa Abd el-Fattah
- Demand Justice for Coco, a Dog Abused By Her Human’s Boyfriend
- Tell U.S. Customs to Stop Saving Americans’ Phone Data Without Their Consent
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!