Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Once again, registration has opened for the Florida Python Challenge, in which participants compete in the Everglades to remove the invasive Burmese pythons to win a cash prize.
The annual python removal competition first began in 2013, and thousands of pythons have been killed since then. Pythons are native to Southeast Asia but were first spotted in Florida in the late 1970s. Pythons have invaded the Everglades area and have no natural predators. They eat small mammals and rabbits and scientists believe there could be up to 300,000 snakes in the Everglades. They have been blamed for the lack of mammals in the Everglades and have wiped out populations of rabbits, foxes, and deer in the area. The state’s previous methods for catching the snakes included traps and poisoned prey, but now the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) pays hunters in exchange for caught snakes.
- Queens Man Charged With Smuggling Burmese Pythons Across U.S. Canada Border
- Over 800 Participants Gather in the Everglades to Kill Invasive Burmese Pythons
- Man Charged for Pouring Acid on Pet Python
- Model Arrested for Illegally Living with ‘Pet’ Lion Cub and Python
- PETA is Calling to End 2020 Python Bowl Where Citizens are Trained to Hunt and Kill Snakes Inhumanely
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!