A man was napping when he was startled awake, only to find a stray cat who he didn’t recognize napping with him on the couch.
Ken Bragg fell asleep on his couch in the San Francisco Bay Area and found a stray cat snuggled up with him.
“I had fallen asleep with the TV on, and when I woke up the cat was on my lap,” Bragg told Newsweek. “My wife and I had seen her around the neighborhood, we are pretty sure she’s a stray. She appears to be pregnant too.”
Bragg shared the hilarious story on Reddit’s r/aww forum, where it has already racked up over 84,000 upvotes. Bragg told Newsweek that he and his wife have three cats of their own, so it’s not unusual to wake up with some kitty company but this was a huge shock.
“She must have come in through our cat door,” Bragg said. “Perhaps she saw one of my own cats come in through it and followed suit.”
The stray cat was calm in the home, which surprised Bragg.
“She was surprisingly calm when I woke up. I looked at her and said, ‘Oh, hello,’ and she answered back, ‘Mow.’ But she continued to just hang out on my lap,” he said.
“I shared the picture on Reddit because I thought it was such an unusual thing to have happened, and I thought people might get a laugh out of it. I was really surprised at how many upvotes it got.”
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
The Best Things In Life Are Rescued by Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- A Mama Cat and Kitten’s Beautiful Lifelong Bond [Video]
- How to Protect Big Cats in Your Travels and Help Stop the ‘Cuddle of Death’
- Petition: Tell City Attorney to Relieve Women on Probation for Helping Stray Cats
- ‘Depressed’ Cat on TikTok Goes Viral as Viewers Express Concern
- 5 Tips on How to Be a Low Waste Cat Owner [Video]
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!