Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
One dog’s determination to find a loving home led him on an incredible journey from an animal shelter to a nursing home, where he was adopted by the residents. Scout, a stray mutt with a history of abuse, captured the hearts of the staff and residents of Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility, a long-term medical care residence in Antrim County.
Scout’s remarkable journey began when he escaped from the Antrim County Animal Control shelter. A compassionate nurse at Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility discovered him curled up on a lobby couch one morning. It turned out that Scout had repeatedly scaled tall fences, crossed busy highways, and entered the nursing home unnoticed.
Scout’s history is a mystery; when he was found it was obvious that he bore the physical scars of past abuse, including embedded pellets in his jowl from what appeared to be a BB or birdshot attack. But despite his traumatic past, his gentle demeanor won over the hearts of those at the nursing home. Marna Robertson, the nursing home’s administrator, recognized Scout’s desire to be there and made a decision that would change everyone’s lives – she asked the staff if anyone would like to have a dog.
The staff unanimously adopted Scout, making him the nursing home‘s cherished companion. Residents, many of whom had no other companionship, welcomed him with open arms. Scout’s presence provided a sense of home and comfort to the seniors, many of whom faced health challenges or dementia.
Scout now has free rein at Glacier Hill, one of the facility’s households, and he roams the halls at will. He even learned how to open doors with his paw to visit residents in their rooms, where he receives treats and affection. To the residents, Scout became more than just a dog; he became their dog, offering companionship and solace when needed most.
Scout’s dedication to his new home extends beyond mere companionship. He has become a protector, always watching over the residents and comforting those in distress. When a resident is in the process of passing away, Scout stays with them, providing solace during their final moments.
Despite the lingering effects of his past trauma, including a slight cower in his walk and a tendency to be cautious around strangers, Scout has embraced his role as a guardian and friend to the residents.
Scout’s story touched the hearts of many beyond the nursing home. A fundraiser was held in his honor, raising funds for the animal shelter that had brought him off the streets and into the lives of his new family. He was even named Resident of the Month in February, a testament to the love and gratitude the residents felt for their loyal companion.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Amazing Piano-Playing Dog Helps Cheer Up Nursing Home Residents (VIDEO)
- Rescue Animals Visit Nursing Home Residents to Spread Some Joy
- UK Nursing Home Sets Up Video Program to “Adopt” a Lonely Grandparent During Coronavirus Lockdown
- Nala the Teacup Poodle is the Best Caretaker in This Minnesota Nursing Home (VIDEO)
- Grandmother Adopts Rescue Dog After Husband’s Passing
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!