Ultimate Teriyaki Stir-Fry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1½ tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 3–4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 3½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½-1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 4–6 teaspoons water, divided
- 1 cup sliced carrot (in discs or half-moons)
- 1–2 pinches sea salt
- 1 cup sliced zucchini or green beans cut into bite-size pieces
- 4–5 cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced (1 medium-large)
- ¾–1 cup cubed baked tofu or marinated tempeh (optional; see note)
- ½-¾ cup roughly chopped or crushed raw cashews
To make the teriyaki sauce:
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree all the ingredients for the sauce.
To make the stir-fry:
- In a sauté pan over high heat, add 2–3 teaspoons of the water, carrot, and sea salt. Reduce heat to medium-high, cover, and let the carrot steam for a few minutes. Remove the cover, return heat to high, and add the zucchini. Toss through to let sear slightly, then add remaining 2–3 teaspoons water, broccoli, and bell pepper. Toss through, cover, reduce heat slightly, and cook for 2–3 minutes, just until broccoli turns bright green (the veggies will continue to cook in sauce, so do not overcook).
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the vegetable mixture, and tofu or tempeh, if using. Toss to coat, and let the sauce come to a slow boil over medium-high heat. Once the sauce has reached a slow boil and thickened, add the cashews and toss to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately over brown rice, quinoa, or soba noodles.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS