The flavor of pineapple in superfood smoothies are strong enough to overpower the sharpness of spirulina. Start small with just 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon and slowly add more as you adjust to this new flavor. Spirulina is excellent for your health. This is what the University of Maryland's Medical Center has to say about it: "Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids, antioxidants that can help protect cells from damage. It contains nutrients, including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid (an essential fatty acid)." Do remember to buy spirulina powder from a trusted brand, preferably organic, as most things on this planet can be affected by toxins, unfortunately. Spirulina is made of over 60 percent protein, and a complete one at that, too! Just a dash of it in your smoothie is beneficial to your health.
Tropical Green Spirulina Smoothie [Vegan]
- 250ml / 1 cup coconut water
- 1 banana
- 1 handful of spinach or kale
- 200g / 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tsp psyllium husk (optional)
- 1/2 tsp spirulina (or more - adjust according to your taste buds)
- Blend all till smooth. Spirulina can be quite strong -- if you're new to it, try adding only 1/2 tsp to begin with, and increase as you build a taste for it.