This soup is Thai-inspired due to the use of bold flavors like lemongrass, lime juice, coconut, and chili flakes. Pureed lentils make the soup extra thick and creamy as well as give it a double dose of protein. If you want, you also have the option to make croutons by tearing up a day-old baguette into pieces, seasoning them with olive oil and herbs, and baking in the oven until nice and crunchy.
Sweet Potato Lentil Coconut Soup [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 pound, 8 ounces sweet potato, diced or spiralized
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass paste (essentially pureed lemongrass, although you could use fresh chopped)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili flakes, depending on how spicy you would like the soup to be
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 19-ounce can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrot, and celery, and continue to cook for five minutes, until softened. Add the salt, pepper, lemongrass, chili flakes, lime zest and juice, and coconut sugar. Stir well. Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Add the sweet potato, lentils and cilantro, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, until sweet potato is soft. Remove from heat, let cool.
- Puree in a high-speed blender until smooth. Add water or additional veggie stock if the mixture is too thick.
- Garnish with extra cilantro and croutons, if desired.