You heard right – riceless! These nori wraps use a delicious "rice" made from raw sunflower seeds and are then stuffed with tender eggplant and coarsely chopped sundried tomatoes and walnuts to them a bit more texture. This dish makes for a great lunch or a fun appetizer.
Sunflower Seed ‘Rice’ Nori Wraps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Rice:
- 3 cups sunflower seeds (soaked in water for a few hours)
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of water
For the Wraps:
- 5 nori sheets
- 1 eggplant
- 3 handfuls of arugula
- 1/2 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Start the sunflower seed rice by taking about 3/4 cup of the soaked sunflower seeds and placing them in a food processor together with the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and water.
- Blend them until a smooth cream forms. Set this aside.
- Add the remaining sunflower seeds together with the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Then, let it simmer until all the water has evaporated; it will take about 30 mins. Add the sunflower seed paste into the cooked seeds.
- Peel and slice your carrots, cut the eggplant into strips, and dice the walnuts and the sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a skillet, heat up some oil and cook the eggplant until tender.
- Now you can assemble your wraps. Spread out the sunflower seed rice on a nori seeds, leaving out the edges. Add the vegetables on top of the rice. Roll it up by first tucking in the bottom left corner, then roll the bottom right corner towards the upper left one.
- Seal the wraps by adding a tiny bit of water onto the edges.