Salsa-infused mashed beans with grilled sweet potatoes and Jalapeño Garlic Havarti. A perfect balance of flavors, taste, and health to keep you happy…and full!
Southwestern Grilled Cheese Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 slices bread
- 1-2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- Vegan spicy cheese
- Coat a skillet with vegetable spray and cook the sweet potatoes and sweet bell peppers over medium heat until tender. This usually takes 5-10 minutes at most. Place the potatoes and peppers on a plate and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the beans and the salsa and mash with a fork. You can follow your preference as to whether you mash the beans into a paste (like refried beans) or leave it with some of the beans whole.
- Place the same skillet you used for the sweet potatoes over medium heat. While you’re waiting for the skillet to warm up, slather margarine onto one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices of bread with buttered side down in the skillet. top with one or two thin slices of vegan cheese, grilled sweet potatoes, mashed beans, and then one or two thin slices of cheese. Top that with the second piece of prepared bread, this time the buttered side up.
- Let the bread cook until toasted to your preference. Once the bottom bread is toasted just so, use a spatula to turn the sandwich (carefully, so you don’t lose any good filling) and toast the other side of the sandwich.
- As the bread is toasting, the heat should also melt the cheese. If not, you can place the sandwich in the microwave and heat for a few seconds at a time until you get everything just right.