Gemini season inspired me to create this super moist, tangy and floral dairy-free yogurt cake. I used coconut yogurt for a lactose-free option and the results are decadent! The zesty lemon pairs wonderfully with the soft notes of lavender.
Lemon and Lavender 'Yogurt' Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (no gum)
- 1/2 tsp cassava flour or xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) coconut Greek yogurt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp culinary lavender (plus more for garnish)
Lemon Yogurt Glaze:
- 2 oz coconut Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, baking powder) and set aside.
- In a stand or hand mixing bowl, add butter and syrup and whip until fluffy. Scrape the sides down with a spatula and add the flax eggs while still mixing. Then add in the vanilla and mix everything until everything is well-combined.
- Slowly pour in half of the flour, alternate with half yogurt and then again in that order until everything is mixed. Then add the lemon juice and zest while still mixing.
- Finally once well combined, turn the mixer off, and with a spatula, fold in the lavender.
- Scoop the batter into the parchment lined loaf pan and bake for approx. 40 minutes until lightly golden brown on top and a fork comes out clean. Once finished, let cake cool on a drying rack for 10 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, whip up the lemon yogurt glaze in a food processor until a glaze has formed.
- Once cake is cooled off to the touch, pour glaze over top and garnish with more lavender, serve!
A quick note about the yogurt: you can use one 6oz. coconut yogurt container for everything in this recipe (4 oz. in the cake and 2 oz. for the glaze)!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS