A flavorful and hearty take on the cheesy cornbread, these cornbread muffins are tender and savory. The batter is infused with a wealth of hot spices, sun-dried tomatoes, and nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor. The harissa butter only serves to elevate the spices, making these muffins perfect for those who like things spicy.
Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins With Harissa Butter [Vegan]
For the Harissa Butter:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste, or to taste
- A pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
For the Muffins:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coarsely ground cornmeal (coarse polenta)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raw or regular sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground or freshly grated turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (or cumin)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
To Make the Harissa Butter:
- Combine softened butter with harissa and salt (if using) and mix until well combined.
To Make the Muffins:
- Mix ground flax seed with water in a small cup or bowl, set aside and let mixture thicken, at least 5 minutes.
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar in another bowl or cup and let that too sit for 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F and line muffin pan with baking cups (liners).
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in nutritional yeast, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic powder, peppers, turmeric, coriander, and salt, and mix to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk flax mixture, almond milk, and oil together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, and spice mixture), pour in the wet ingredients (flax, almond milk, and oil mixture) and fold in with a spatula until evenly combined and batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan to about three-quarters full, each.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-25 minutes until tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin just comes out clean.
- Let muffins rest on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing from muffin pan to cool further.
- Serve warm with harissa butter.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS