Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste the main ingredients of which are roasted red peppers, serrano peppers, and other hot chili peppers and spices and herbs. It compliments the nutty and tangy taste of the hummus quite well while adding some serious spice to a traditional dish.
Hemp and Harissa Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup of Harissa paste
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 cans of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Salt and pepper
- Scant 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Garnish: freshly parsley, Harissa
- Into your food processor, add your hemp seeds, Harissa, chickpeas, garlic, water, salt, and pepper.
- Turn your processor on to start blending. Open the drizzle spout on the top of the lid and slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture.
- Once creamy and smooth – taste test and adjust spices. Once complete – add to a bowl.
- Make swirls with the back of a spoon and drizzle a bit of Harissa and olive oil.
- Finely chop parsley to top the hummus.
If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate. Serve with chopped veggies, chips, pita bread, crackers etc.