The flavors of these Greek-inspired burgers blend seamlessly together like they're straight out of a dream. The patties are made from high-protein ingredients like chickpeas and quinoa, and flavorful kalamata olives, fresh dill, parsley, and green onions. Finally, they're topped with a cucumber tofu feta dressing so good, you'll want to save this recipe and use it to top all your future salads. When they're fully decked out with greens, red onion, sauce, and any other trimmings you like, these tasty burgers also have great presentation.
Greek Burger [Vegan]
For the Tofu Feta:
- 1 14-ounce package of firm tofu
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Burgers:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoons ground flax seeds, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup oats, ground into flour
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 small green onions, minced (green part only)
- 1/2 cup chopped black or kalamata olives
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
For the Sauce:
- 1 small container of vegan plain yogurt or vegan sour cream or make your own
- 1 1/2 small cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup crumbled tofu feta
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced fresh dill, as desired
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 burger buns
- Red onion
To Make the Tofu Feta:
- Press the firm tofu to remove excess water. If you don't have a tofu press, wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel, put it on a plate, cover the top with another plate, and pile heavy books (or any heavy object) on top.Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into cubes. For the marinade, mix all other ingredients in container, add the cubed tofu, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and ideally 3-5 days. Tofu will take more texturized form and resemble feta cheese more.The longer it sits, the better it will taste.
To Make the Burgers:
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add quinoa to water and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain quinoa well. Set aside. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to oil and cook until tender and browned around edges, stirring frequently.
- Stir garlic, oregano, and salt into onion. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat. Set aside.
- Place oats in a food processor and pulse into flour. Place beans in a large bowl and mash until smooth. Add quinoa, sautéed onions, dill, a squeeze of lemon juice, flax egg, oat flour, green onions, chopped olives, parsley, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mix well, then divide into 4 patties. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add patties to oil and cook until browned on both sides.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the sauce.
To Make the Sauce:
- Mix together cucumber, vegan yogurt/sour cream, crumbled vegan feta, minced garlic, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top burgers with arugula, red onion, cucumber, and sauce.