I was determined to make something easy and nourishing, and this brown rice and broccoli bake is exactly that. It’s easy as can be, especially if you cook the brown rice in advance. Lots of broccoli-rice dishes require pre-blanching the broccoli or sautéing garlic and onions, but I was in no mood for that many steps when I made this dinner. No, this dish is just about as simple as it gets! You pretty much just mix brown rice and broccoli in a casserole dish and stir it up with a basic cheesy sauce. Easy peasy.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli and Brown Rice Bake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- One large head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (and an optional additional 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- A few shakes or twists black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚.
- Prepare a small* casserole or baking dish by spraying it with oil. Add the brown rice and broccoli florets directly to the dish and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the almond milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper and whisk until combined. Pour about 3/4 of the sauce over the rice and broccoli mixture, reserving about 1/4. Stir gently so that the mixture is coated. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dish from the oven, uncover, and stir. Dot with the Earth Balance. If the casserole is looking dry, add the additional 1/4 cup almond milk. Return to oven (uncovered), and bake for another 10 minutes, then remove from oven and pour the remaining sauce over the top. Eat!