Who didn’t love pop tarts!? The super sugary pastry snacks were a treat for breakfast, lunch, and after school snacks! This recipe is so easy to make and way better than the store bought variety. Homemade dough surrounds an apple pie filling and then topped off with the iconic pop tart icing.
Apple Cinnamon Pop Tarts [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- In the work bowl of a food processor combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Dice the cold vegan butter into small 1/2-inch pieces and add to the flour mixture.
- Pulse it several times to create a course mealy consistency.
- Pour the cold milk through the feed tube as you are pulsing the dough to a sticky mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap well then chill for at least 2 hours.
To prepare the pop tart dough:
- To roll the dough you must break it up into pieces and it will be very dry and crumbly.
- You will have to knead it with extra flour to get it to a rollable, pliable consistency.
- Roll the dough to less than 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut out rectangles to the desired size you want your pop tarts to be (4X4 3/4-inch rectangles for a total of 20 pieces that when sandwiched with the filling make 10 total pop tarts).
- You can re-roll the dough several times to utilize all the pieces.
- Fill each rectangle of dough fill with 2 tablespoons of apple filling.
- Cover with another rectangle of dough and with a fork crimp the edges to seal.
- On a parchment lined sheet pan spaced 1-inch apart, brush each pop tart with aquafaba and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 18-22 minutes or until golden browned.
- Cool slightly then glaze with sugar glaze.