Do you remember when Taco Bell came out with the Double Decker Taco (c. 1996)? Soft…crunchy…soft…crunchy! Although it has been at least a decade since I have eaten a fast food taco, the soft and crunchy combination is definitely a winner. You can make your own, healthier version at home in about 30 minutes. You won’t even miss the “meat!”
Double Decker Lentil Tacos
This Recipe is :
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2tsp taco seasoning
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- Lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (or more, to taste!)
Toppings and Tortillas
- 2-3 cups of chopped mixed greens or lettuce
- 1-2 cups of chopped tomatoes
- About 1 cup of Daiya or other dairy-free cheese
- 8-10 small corn tortillas (soft)
- 8-10 crunchy taco shells
- Saute the onion in a large skillet with oil and garlic until tender (5-7 minutes) over medium-high heat.
- Add lentils, taco seasoning, cumin and oregano. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, mash avocado with a squirt or two of lime juice and sea salt and nutritional yeast to taste. Set aside.
- Wrap soft tortillas in foil and place in the oven or toaster oven for 5-10 minutes while lentils are cooking. Also heat crunchy shells in the oven for the last few minutes.
- Uncover lentils and cook for an additional 5 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in nutritional yeast during the last minute or two. The lentils will thicken a bit as they cool.
- To prepare tacos, spread 1-2 T of guacamole on each tortilla, break a taco shell in half and lay flat. Spread lentils on one side, then top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and salsa. Fold sides together and enjoy!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS