Sometimes perfection lies in simplicity and if nothing else this sandwich is the personification of that. Clean, simple, honest ingredients that will tickle those tastebuds, fill your belly and (if I may be so bold) leave you with a self-satisfied grin that only a really good “sammich” can induce.
Hummus, Carrot, Cucumber, Avocado, and Alfalfa Sprouts Sandwich [Vegan]
- 2 slices of thick whole-grain farmhouse bread (preferably vegan)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- 1/2 large carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, halved, and sliced lengthwise
- A large handful alfalfa sprouts
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toast the bread-I like mine well done (on the cusp of burnt).
- Spread one slice of toasted bread with a generous amount of hummus. Top with the grated carrot and cucumber.
- Top with the avocado – layer it in a fan like fashion (fancy!) and lightly season with some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread a little more hummus on top of the avocado – this will ensure the alfafa sprouts will stay put.
Add the final layer of alfafa sprouts.
- Spread the other slice of toasted bread with the remainder of the hummus and place on top of the sandwich. Carefully cut diagonally – put a sharp knife in the centre of the sandwich, cut outwards on one side and then repeat on the other. This way the ingredients won’t spill out the sides.