I had an intense craving for Brussels sprouts but didn’t feel like making my usual mustard-maple syrup vinaigrette version, as much as I adore that. Something simple like lemon sounded good, but…damn, no lemons in the fridge. I spied a lime and fearlessly forged ahead. My friend Sharon, who was my cooking pal that day, said, “What about some hot pepper flakes?” Well, I wouldn’t have thought of that, but what the hell. I decided on Aleppo pepper flakes, which are a bit more subtle in their spiciness. The dish is that simple – olive oil, lime, and pepper flakes. With a slight tang and a hint of spiciness, I think these sprouts would add an interesting dimension to any Thanksgiving table. Maybe yours?
Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Lime and Chili [Vegan]
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of two limes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes (or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili pepper and salt.
- Toss with Brussels sprouts and place on one or two baking sheets.
- Roast for about 40 minutes (or until well-browned), turning once halfway through.
- Brussels Sprouts