Whether you call them dim sum, dumplings or pot stickers, these delectable Asian snacks are hard to resist. They can be prepared either steamed or fried, but since this type of decisions can be tough, I suggest making these vegan dumplings both ways. The sautéed mushrooms give the filling a hearty texture, while the cilantro and bell peppers add a fresh crunch. The fried dumplings, or pot stickers, are golden and crispy, while the steamed ones have a light and slightly chewy texture. A simple spicy sauce is the perfect partner for these savory snacks. Once prepared, the only thing left to decide is which way you prefer- steamed or fried!
- 1 package round egg-less dumpling wrappers
- about 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- ½ orange pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups spinach, steamed, dried and chopped
- 1 baby bok choy, steamed dried and chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- black pepper to taste
Spicy soy dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ½ hot chili, minced
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion, minced
- For the filling, quickly sauté the mushrooms and garlic over medium heat until soft. Transfer to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the remaining filling ingredients and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, spoon half a teaspoon of the mixture into the center of each wrapper. For the fried dumplings (or pot stickers), seal in a half moon formation. The steamed ones can be twisted into adorable little pouches.
- Steam the half moons for about 45 seconds, while heating some of the vegetable oil in a large skillet, about one tablespoon per batch. Once slightly softened, fry the pot stickers on medium-high heat until golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- For the purses, simply steam them for 3-4 minutes each until soft to the touch and glossy on the outside.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, chili vinegar, sesame oil and green onion to create the delicious dipping sauce.
- Serve with chopsticks and the spicy soy dipping sauce and enjoy!
Dumplings Image Source: Robin Burns