These ice cream cones are filled with rich, chocolate cake and topped with a swirly cream cheese frosting.
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup coffee, brewed and cooled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 1 cup Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, refined sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the vegetable oil, almond extract, distilled white vinegar, coffee and water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spoon the batter into the ice cream cones, filling each cone 3/4 of the way full.
- Stand each cone upright in a cupcake tin and carefully place in the oven, making sure not to knock over any of the cones.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly. Allow the cake cones to cool completely before adding on the frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine the vegan cream cheese, Earth Balance, vanilla extract and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl and mix on low-medium speed until well combined.
- Use a spatula or piping bag to frost the cakes.
This recipe makes a large amount of frosting so you can pile it high on the cakes, giving it the appearance of soft serve ice cream.