There’s been a lot of buzz in the media lately about the negative impacts that meat production and consumption have on the environment and with good reason. Many issues that our planet currently faces, including increased green house gas emissions and unsustainable water usage to name just a couple, can be tied directly to animal agriculture.
So many of us don’t realize that what goes onto our plate affects more than just our waistline (and cardiovascular health, cancer risk, longevity and increased energy levels but we digress). Every bite of food that we consume carries some form of environmental impact, no matter what it is. It just so happens that, according to a vast amount of data out there, meat has a much heavier footprint than foods derived from plants. We’re talking a T Rex footprint vs. a chicken print here.
In looking at all of this information, as you definitely should too, we came up with a list of 10 facts that were truly terrifying. We’re talking Carol Anne getting sucked into the T.V. scary. So sit back with some plant based Bourbon Carmel Popcorn and prepare to take in this horror show of facts.
1. Can’t you just hear the guy from Ferris Bueller on this one? Ferris has missed school nine times. The difference here though is one example deals with truancy and the other with ruining the planet.
2. Well, that just seems selfish.
3. Way to hog all the land there, livestock…yes, we did.
4. She’s right to be covering her mouth, this fact is a little scarier than the zombie apocalypse since it’s, you know, real. (#spoileralert)
5. Think you could save some for the rest of us? Geez.
6. Way to be guys, you’re literally eating the world to death.
7. That’s like saying, “If you give me $4.50, I’ll give you a buck.” No deal.
8. “Mooom, the carnivore got a bigger piece than me!”
9. Can you make an entire foil body suit for us, Joaquin?
10. Just, eewwww…
As the leading organization at the forefront of the conscious consumerism movement, it is One Green Planet’s view that our food choices have the power to heal our broken food system, give species a fighting chance for survival, and pave the way for a truly sustainable future.
By choosing to eat more plant-based foods, you can drastically cut your carbon footprint, save precious water supplies and help ensure that vital crop resources are fed to people, rather than livestock. With the wealth of available plant-based options available, it has never been easier to eat with the planet in mind.
Our everyday food choices have the power to heal our broken food system, give species a fighting chance for survival, and pave the way for a truly sustainable future.
One Green Planet’s #EatForthePlanet movement.
How to Participate:
1. Choose a plant-based/vegan meal
3. Add #EatForThePlanet and @OneGreenPlanet in your update.
Let’s show the world how eating vegan/plant-based has never been easier or more delicious!
Click on the graphic below for more information
Lead Image: ianthestorck.wordpress.com