We have a feeling this energizing dinner entrée is going to become one of your favorites! Crisp raw zucchini is twirled into fresh vegetable noodles, topped with your favorite tomato sauce, and delightful spicy lentil balls. For some added zing and healthy fat, drizzle the whole bowl with reserved sun-dried tomato oil. Yum!
Zucchini Noodles With Spicy Lentil Balls [Vegan]
- 1 large yellow zucchini
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked for 3 hours and drained
- 1/2-1 cups quinoa flakes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Tomato sauce of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Peel the garlic and the onion, halving both and putting them into a food processor along with the lentils, walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes (reserve the oil), cumin, paprika, chili flakes, and maple syrup. Pulse until a meat-like texture is achieved.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the quinoa flakes, starting with 1/2 cup and adding more as needed.
- Add a tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil to the mixture, continue combining.
- Once the mixture has reached meatball-like consistency, scoop out balls using a large spoon or an ice cream scoop.
- Arrange each scoop on the prepared pan, bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the outsides have crisped and the balls are soft but do not fall apart.
- Allow to cool on the stove top while spiralizing the zucchini.
- Measure about a handful or two of noodles into bowls, topping with your favorite tomato sauce and a few warm lentil balls.